This is The Pepper Quests take on chili oil. It that can be used in a variety of ways and will surely become one of your new best friends in the kitchen. The touch of XinJiang cumin and Yidu chili really adds a musky depth of flavor to the oil. This works beautiful with simple stir fries, green beans, sliced chicken, hot salads, tofu you name it. The most labour intense part of this is process is toasting and deseeding the chili. But in the end you have an oil you will use for months so well worth the effort!
After trying a bunch different recipes from books and the internet we landed on a wonderful YouTube Channel for the method of this oil. Big shout out to Chinese Cooking Demystified for all the inspiration and their great, step by step recipes, breaking down Chinese cooking for anyone interested. You guys have really elevated our cooking!
We have chosen to add several spices in this version, feel free to add/remove the flavors you like.
Go for it!
- 6-8 dl High grade Canola, rapeseed or Peanut oil (depending on heat level)
- 100g Chili
- Er Jing Tao Chili 70g
- Facing Heaven/Chao Tian 10g
- Yidu Chili 15g
- Xiao Mi La 5g
- 1 tsp QingXi Tribute Sichuan pepper
- 4 Star anise
- 3 Bayleaf
- 1 piece Cinnamon stick
- 1 slightly crushed Black cardamom pod
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Clove
- Slice of ginger or ginger powder
- Long chopped scallion
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Toast chili carefully until aromatic. Take out and remove seeds. Turn into powder and put aside in a metal bowl. If you have our Chili Mix (part of the Sichuan Sample Pack) this step is already prepared for you.
- Toast spices at a high temperature for 1-2 minutes. Put aside to cool off.
- Heat oil to around 120C. Add all the spices, ginger and scallion for around 5 minutes and then remove.
- Heat up the oil until 180-190C.
- Assemble 2/3 of chili powder in the metal bowl, like a small volcano. Add half of the hot oil and stir. As the oil cools down to around 120C, add a second pour and stir. As the oil cools down to 70-80C add the last bit.
- Put in fridge overnight and it is ready to be used!
- Strain for clear oil or keep the chili for sediment. Both are wonderful!
Enjoy on literally everything! EVERYTHING!