Amazing oil that can be used in a variety of ways and a must if you want to indulge in the Sichuanese cuisine. Also works beautifully with simple stir fries, green beans, sliced chicken, hot sallads and tofu.
We have chosen to add several spices in this version, feel free to add/remove the flavors you like!
Go for it!
- High grade Canola or Peanut oil
- Dry chili (our chili mix works perfect as well)
- Sichuan pepper
- Star anise
- Cinnamon stick
- Black cardamom
- Fennel seeds
- Slice of ginger or ginger powder
- Long chopped scallion
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Toast chili carefully until aromatic. Take out and remove seeds. Turn into powder and put aside in a metal bowl. If you have our Chili Mix (part of the Sichuan Sample Pack) this step is already prepared for you.
- Toast spices at a high temperature for 1-2 minutes. Put aside to cool off.
- Heat oil to around 120C. Add all the spices, ginger and scallion for around 4 minutes and then remove.
- Heat up the oil until 180C.
- Assemble chili powder in the metal bowl, like a small volcano. Add half of the hot oil and stir. As the oil cools down to around 120C, add a second pour and stir. As the oil cools down to 70-80C add the last bit.
- Put in fridge overnight and it is ready to be used!
- Strain for clear oil or keep the chili for sediment. Both are wonderful!
Enjoy on literally everything!