We ate green beans everywhere we went in Sri Lanka. It always ended up on the table. And we just loved them, its a perfect sidedish to any protein.
The diagonal cuts let more flavor in to the beans, adding spices before evenly coated and slightly marinated them and the coconut milk really added a creamy rich flavor. Try it out!
When it comes to Sri Lankan cuisine, one dish that you'll find on almost every table is green beans. These vibrant and flavorful beans are the perfect accompaniment to any protein, and their unique preparation method sets them apart from other vegetable dishes. In this blog post, we'll explore the traditional Sri Lankan way of cooking green beans and why they are so beloved.
What makes Sri Lankan green beans so special?
One of the key factors that sets Sri Lankan green beans apart is the way they are cut. Instead of simply chopping them into small pieces, the beans are diagonally sliced. This technique allows more flavor to penetrate the beans, resulting in a more intense taste experience.
How are Sri Lankan green beans prepared?
Once the beans are sliced, they are typically marinated in a mixture of spices. This step ensures that every bite is bursting with flavor. The spices used can vary, but common choices include turmeric, chili powder, cumin, and coriander. These spices not only add depth to the dish but also provide numerous health benefits.
What is the secret ingredient?
One of the key ingredients in Sri Lankan green beans is coconut milk. This creamy and rich addition elevates the dish to a whole new level. The coconut milk not only adds a luxurious texture but also balances out the spices, creating a harmonious blend of flavors.
How to make Sri Lankan green beans at home?
If you're feeling adventurous and want to recreate this Sri Lankan delicacy at home, here's a simple recipe to get you started.
A bag of Green Beans
A couple of chopped garlic cloves
Piece of smashed and chopped ginger
A tablespoon of Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon Polowaththa Curry Blend
1 teaspoon of Kandy Turmeric
Salt as you prefer
A pinch of chili powder
Fresh chili (sliced diagonally)
A pinch of Kandy Black Pepper
2-3 finely sliced shallots
A spoon of dried Kandy Curry Leaves
A cup of Coconut Milk
- Start by slicing the green beans diagonally into bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together turmeric, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the sliced green beans to the spice mixture and toss until they are evenly coated.
- Let the beans marinate for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- In a pan, heat some oil and add the marinated green beans.
- Sauté the beans for a few minutes until they are tender but still retain a slight crunch.
- Finally, pour in some coconut milk and simmer for a few more minutes until the flavors meld together.
- Serve the Sri Lankan green beans as a delicious side dish to your favorite protein.
So, the next time you're looking for a tasty and nutritious side dish, give Sri Lankan green beans a try. Their unique preparation method, flavorful spices, and creamy coconut milk make them a standout addition to any meal. Whether you're a fan of Sri Lankan cuisine or simply looking to try something new, these green beans are sure to impress your taste buds.